Mother Murks is moving away.
To a beautiful lake named Tavelsjö. Close to a town called Umea. Close to Norrlands "best" university. Close to Norrlands' biggest and best hospital. To Sweden.
- Because he does not like living here in Estonia.
- Because he had to disappoint so many times here. With people. How things are done. How things are communicated.
- Because there is no workplace here in Estonia for him. Because of the finances. Because of the institutional stagnation of the work colleagues.
- Because the rehabilitation system sucks in Estonia. Though, there are some nice people, there are more bureaucratic ones and those that float in the system.
- Because the medical system sucks in Estonia. I still hope that there is the knowledge, and the problem is only in "patient communication". But I do not know anymore...
- Because our daughter needs (most probable) special care and tolerant society.
- Because he needs to be close to his workplace and his friends.
What does Emigrant Murks need?
Tuesday, September 11, 2012
Standards. There are standards that we compare ourselves with. It is in human nature - like Levi-Srauss discussed - to classify, to make categories, to compare. The standards that are created by the society, by science, by ... any group of people. And then it is also common to compare everything to ones' self. And, of course, everything related to myself is normal. "I am normal," people say and think. Normal people.
Mother Murks' grandpa was once in 1930s selected as the most typical Estonian from anthropometric values. The standard person! Measures of the skull, length, wideness of chest... He was the most normal person in the gang of Estonians. Standard. He also had a super ironic way of making jokes, as Mother Murks has heard.. so, no-one would have wanted to be the target of his jokes. It seems to be also typical Estonian, or not?
Mother Murks has always thought to be normal. Maybe a bit small and fat, but this is also just cute. Still, the testing of Murks' chromosomes does not show that. Mother Murks is missing a gene in the 16th of chromosome. Hmmm. Apparently this is not normal, or is it?